Motor Vehicles

Important Information Regarding your 2015 Grand List Motor Vehicle Bills

Please Read (PDF)

How We Value Motor Vehicles

The motor vehicle pricing schedule is established by the State of Connecticut - Secretary of the Office of Policy and Management. The following guides are used Connecticut State Statutes Section 12-71D (use the average retail value):

  • N.A.D.A. Motorcycle / Snowmobile / ATV / Personal Watercraft Appraisal Guide
  • N.A.D.A. Official Older Used Car Guide
  • N.A.D.A. Official Used Car Guide (New England Edition)
  • N.A.D.A. Recreational Vehicle Appraisal Guide

Regular Motor Vehicle List

  • All motor vehicles registered on or before October 1 result in an assessment and tax bill the following July.
  • Assessment is for ownership from October 1 through September 30 of the following year.
  • If a marker plate is transferred to a new vehicle no pro ration is given. Full credit of the old vehicle will be given on the new vehicle on the supplemental bill in the following January. Please see supplemental motor vehicle list for further details.
  • No longer own a vehicle? Assessment may be prorated with proper documentation, which must include: a plate receipt from the Department of Motor Vehicles and proof of disposition of vehicle (i.e. copy of the bill of sale, transfer of title, receipt from junkyard, letter of donation, letter from insurance company showing vehicle a total loss, or a copy of trade-in papers from dealership). Remember, there is a statute of limitations to claim this tax credit. Contact the Assessor's Office for more details.
  • Vehicles registered out of state may be prorated by sending a copy of the out-of-state registration clearly showing date of registration and identification of vehicle.

Supplemental Motor Vehicle List

  • If a marker plate was transferred to a new vehicle from an old vehicle, credit will be given on the new vehicle and further adjusted by the number of months of ownership.
  • Supplemental bill is an assessment for the portion of the year that the vehicle is owned.
  • Supplemental motor vehicle list includes vehicles registered after October 1 through September 30.

Active Military

A one car exemption is allowed for active military. The vehicle exemption application must be signed by a commanding officer and filed annually. Applications are available in the Assessor's Office.

Specially Equipped Motor Vehicle Exemption

  • Applicant must be the owner of the vehicle.
  • Application must be completed and filed annually with the assessor before December 31.
  • Application must show vehicle is adapted to allow use by the owner to operate the vehicle that otherwise the owner would not be physically capable of operating such vehicle.

Trucks for Hire

This exemption is for new tractor trailer truckers, for hire only. The owner must apply with the assessor by November 1.