Apply for a Permit
How to Obtain a Permit
You can obtain a building, electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing permit all online! As of December 2020, we have joined the various surrounding towns to work with OpenGov and their View Point system for permitting. As with the other towns that utilize this permitting system, once you have gone in and created a user name and password, it can be used for all towns that participate with this online permitting system. In order to make the permitting process as streamlined as possible, we encourage all applicants to utilize the online system for their permitting needs.
Use the View Point online permitting system and create an account for yourself if you have not already done so for this permitting system either in Coventry or another participating town . You will have the option to pay for the permit online with credit card (a small convenience charge applies) or mail in or stop by our office to pay by check or cash. You will not be issued the web permit until payment is received. Certain documentation will be required for the application to be submitted online.
Documentation that may be required:
Please provide PDF attachments of the documentation requested...
- We require contractor's to provide us with Proof of Worker's Compensation Insurance in the form of a Certificate of Insurance from their insurance carrier, where the Certificate Holder is made out to the Town of Coventry, 1712 Main Street, Coventry, CT 06238 OR provide us with a filled out and scanned worker's compensation waiver form. (select the 7A or 7B waiver that apples to your situation)
- We require contractor's to provide us with a copy of their Contractor's License
- Letter of Authorization if an agent or homeowner is taking out the permit on behalf of a contactor (also a copy of insurance and license (see above)).
- Plot Plans (showing tp scale the proposed activity in relation to property lines, setbacks, septic location/sewer lines, and well location/water lines) &/or Building Plans. For projects that require a plot plan and/or building plans (or some type of plan submittal); PDFs will need to be uploaded and a set of hard copy plans will need to be submitted to the office for review. If we need to make these copies, a copy fee of $0.50 per page up to 11x17 and/or $7.00 per page for anything larger than 11x17 (whichever is deemed necessary for legibility) will be added to your permitting fees.
- Factory Cut Sheets/Specifications for any mechanicals being installed or replaced
- Heat Loss/Gain Calculations, Load Calcs, Beam Calcs, Truss Reports, Brace Wall Calculations that may apply to your specific project
- Lot Coverage Worksheet
- Assessor Card