Please schedule inspections directly with the Building Department secretary by calling 860-742-4062 or 860-742-4064 and setting it up with Heidi or Brigit. This will ensure your inspection day and window of time. We do not take inspection requests via email or online requests, because it is not reliable to ensure a date and time and may hold up your project. The Building Official requires physical inspections of the project process and does not accept pictures (except for full pictures of the taping of roof seams, which is required of any strip and reroof project. These pictures can be emailed to email@example.com ). The following information must be provided in order to schedule the inspection in a timely manner:
- Property owner
- Street name and number
- Type of inspection
- Your name
- Your phone number
- Permit number
- CRS # (if applicable)
- Desired day and time of day (a.m. or p.m., we will try our best to accommodate your request)
It is your responsibility to call for inspections and to know your work schedule. We require 24-48 hours notice for inspection requests. Five working business days are requested when calling for a final inspection that involve a Certificate of Occupancy, due to the multiple department reviews involved.
We respectfully ask that you do not request inspection from the inspector either on job sites while doing inspections or on their personal time. Please call ahead to request an inspection.
Minimum Required Inspections
(In order of inspection)
- Preliminary and/or Excavation: After excavation is complete and soil erosion controls are in place or before starting renovations.
- Footings and Piers: Prior to placement of concrete footings, piers, and before concrete slabs.
- Waterproofing / Foundation Coating: When completed and before starting footing drains so that we can inspect the joint between footing and walls, a common place for water leaks.
- Footing Drains: When pipe and stone are in place and membrane covering is on or at site to be put on.
- Electric Service: When CRS worksheet is submitted to the office. Including trench work when conduits are in place with 12 inches of clean back fill and warning tape is in place, leave conduit joints exposed for inspection.
- Framing Inspection: When framing is complete and before roof and wall sheathing is covered. All fire blocking is to be in place.
- Roofing Inspection: At time of installation of finish roof covering. 15 pound felt required under shingles.
- Plumbing Rough-In: When rough work is completed and pipes are fire stopped at each floor level, air or water tests shall be on. Plumbing under slabs to be inspected before covering.
- HVAC Rough-In: When rough work is completed, all duct work for system shall have fire stopping at each floor level.
- Electric Rough-in: When all rough wiring is completed and boxes are made up with fire stopping at each floor level.
- Fireplace and Masonry Chimneys: When steel is in place for hearths and before concrete is placed, also at least once during chimney and flue work.
- Insulation Inspection: After all insulation is in place and before covering with drywall.
- Fuel Tanks and Lines (Including LP Gas): At time of tank installation and when air test is on all lines.
- Final Inspections: Requests for final inspections need to be made in advance to allow time for a review of all paperwork. We respectfully ask that you give us five working business days notice for the request of a Final Certificate of Occupancy Inspection for new dwellings. When calling to request a final inspection that involves a multi-department review, the Building Department administrative assistant will send out an email to the appropriate departments alerting them of your request. You may be contacted by the Town Engineer, Wetlands Officer, Zoning, Waste Water Treatment Plant, Health and Fire Marshal Departments for additional information required for final approval, so be sure to give your full contact information. These reviews may need up to a week or more to get all the required information in for you to obtain your Certificate of Occupancy.