Porches, three-season rooms, raising the roof to create living space, any addition of rooms which adds to the footprint of the house is considered an addition.
There are certain zoning regulations that apply to additions. The regulations differ as to zoning districts. The Zoning Enforcement Officer can answer your questions pertaining to these regulations by calling 860-742-4062. There are also certain Public Health Code regulations that apply to additions. The sanitarian can answer your questions pertaining to these regulations by calling 860-742-4064.
- Building / Zoning Permit Application (PDF)
- Eastern Highlands Health District Application (B-100)
- Two copies of Construction Plans
- Two copies of a Plot Plan or Survey
- Copy of Current Assessor’s Property Card
- Copy of the Certificate of Insurance showing Worker’s Compensation coverage or Worker's Compensation Waiver Form and a copy of the contractor’s HIC license (if homeowner is doing the work, no insurance / waiver or license are required)
The following information is required upon submittal of applications:
- Where the addition is to be located
- Dimensions of the addition
- What the use of the room(s) will be
The construction plans must include a framing detail, roof construction and foundation plan. Also, any other information the building official deems appropriate. Separate permit applications are required for electrical, plumbing, heating, and A/C.
The plot plan or survey must show the location of the property lines, the proposed location of the addition drawn to scale, and the location of the septic system and well.