Permit & Regulation Information
Permits are required for the mounting of solar panels on roof as well as ground mounts. As long as permit application packets submitted are complete with the requested information, roof mount permits go through a quick Zoning and Building Department review. Ground mounts need to go through a slightly longer review process, as they are reviewed by the Wetlands and Eastern Highland Health Districts as well as Zoning and Building. Zoning regulations govern the placement of ground mount solar panels on your property. The regulations differ as to zoning districts; the Zoning Enforcement Officer can answer your questions pertaining to these regulations by calling 860-742-4062.
- Building / Zoning Permit Application (PDF) (click on this link to obtain the streamlined application, choose electrical for type of permit)
- For ground mount systems a B-100a application for review by the health district is required if the property where the ground mount will be located is serviced by septic. Please click on the link to find the most recent B-100a form for submittal. EHHD B-100a Application
- Two copies of a plot plan showing location of a ground mounted system in relations to side lines and dwelling
- 2 copies of: A line drawing, roof description, list of system components, building plans (required for roof and ground mount systems)
- Permit fee made payable to the Town of Coventry ($25 Zoning Fee & Permit fee of $15/$1000 of materials and labor cost for the install for roof mount systems. For ground mount systems, we ask that you wait until after the review to be called for a payment and pick-up price.)
- Copy of the Certificate of Insurance showing Worker’s Compensation coverage or Worker's Compensation Waiver Form and a copy of the contractor’s HIC & E-1 license.
- Installers must be licensed by the Department of Consumer Protection.
- Once the permit has been issued the work can be performed and the contractor can call to set-up an inspection (Please call 24-48 hours in advance. The electrician needs to be on site so we strive to schedule these inspections for the Building Official's first appointment of the morning (10:00 am) or afternoon (2:00 pm) visits).
- For roof mount systems that are directly on the house, 1 final inspection is all that is needed and needs to be performed by the Building Official only. Please call 24-48 hours in advance. The electrician needs to be on site so we strive to schedule these inspections for the Building Official's first appointment of the morning (10:00 am) or afternoon (2:00 pm) visits. If the solar system was located on an accessory building and a trenching and conduit inspection is required, a two step inspection process may be needed (trenching/conduit first, final secondly).
- For ground mount systems, a two step inspection process needs to occur (trenching/conduit first, final inspection secondly) and the final is performed by the Building Official and the Zoning Officer, but is coordinated for the same time. Again, the electrician needs to be on site, so we strive to schedule these inspections for the Building Official's first appointment of the morning (10:00 am) or afternoon (2:00 pm) visits. Please call 24-48 hours in advance to schedule.