There are certain zoning regulations that apply to swimming pools. The regulations differ as to zoning districts; the Zoning Enforcement Officer can answer your questions pertaining to these regulations by calling 860-742-4062. There are also certain Public Health Code regulations that apply to swimming pools. The sanitarian can answer your questions pertaining to these regulations by calling 860-742-4064.
- Building / Zoning Permit Application (PDF)
- Eastern Highlands Health District Application (B-100)
- Copy of the stamped engineer’s drawing of the pool
- Two copies of a plot plan or survey
- Swimming Pool Affidavit (PDF)
- Copy of the Certificate of Insurance showing Worker’s Compensation coverage or Worker's Compensation Waiver Form and a copy of the contractor’s HIC license (if homeowner is doing the work, no insurance/waiver or license are required).
Requirements for Swimming Pools
The access area to the swimming pool must have an enclosure that is at least 48 inches high with a self-closing and self-latching gate. There are many requirements regarding the protection of the access area, all questions should be directed to a building inspector.
- A time clock shall be installed so that the pump can be set to run in the off-peak electric demand period.
- The swimming pool must be equipped with a “pool alarm”. This device emits a sound when a person or object weighing fifteen pounds or more enters the water of a swimming pool.
- The swimming pool must not be filled or used until approved by final inspection. In the event the pool must be filled before final inspection, a temporary fence must be installed to protect such body of water.