Trash Disposal & Recycling
The following general guidance is provided to assist you in properly disposing of your solid wastes and preparing your recyclables for pickup by the town’s contracted hauler, All American Waste. Detailed information is available at the Public Works Facility at 100 Olsen Farm Road. If you have specific questions please contact the Public Works Department at (860) 742-6588 between the hours of 7 a.m. and 3 p.m., Monday through Friday.
If materials are not picked up from the curbside, residents are asked to please call All American Waste at (860) 289-7850 to give them a chance to correct the problem or provide information as to why the item was left.
Household garbage and solid waste is acceptable for weekly pickup in gray tipper cart:
Recyclable items acceptable for biweekly pickup in blue tipper cart:
- Newspapers / catalogs / magazines
- Direct mail / envelopes (all types)
- Paper / paperboard (i.e. cereal or shoe boxes)
- Shredded paper (must be in closed paper bag)
- Milk and juice cartons (i.e. aseptic packaging)
- Cardboard / brown paper bags
- Plastic bottles / plastic containers, numbers 1 - 7
- Soda / juice / water bottles (glass or plastic)
- Food containers
- Glass bottles / jars (any color)
- Aluminum cans / clean foil
- Metal cans (tin / steel / aluminum)
- NO PLASTIC BAGS PLEASE
Next to the carts:
- Used motor oil***, up to six quarts / week, in original or non-breakable containers with screw on lids, taped; mark as containing oil.
- Automotive batteries, one per week
- Auto or light truck tire; removed from rim, one per week. Tires can also be brought to the Coventry Transfer Station on or off the rim for $5 each
Material acceptable for monthly over sized waste pickup.
(Non metal material that is too large to be placed in your tipper cart, of residential nature such as furniture.)
- Residents are allowed to place up to three non-metal over sized waste items (for example: table, couch, mattress) at the curb each month for collection as part of the program. No electronics, they must be brought to the transfer station. This collection will be on the second Monday of each month. All residents need to place their items at the curb by 6:30 a.m. This collection may / may not follow the daily waste and recycling pickup schedule
- Brush; trimmed to three feet lengths, bundled and tied, 30 pound maximum
- Wood lumber; length and width less than four feet., less than four inches nominal size, 30 pound maximum
- Scrap metal, electronics, textiles, fluorescent bulbs and appliances must be brought to the Coventry Transfer Station, at no cost. Appliances with refrigerant are $10 each. Located at 325 Main Street.
- Antifreeze must be brought to Coventry Department of Public Works at 100 Olsen Farm Road by appointment. Please call (860) 742-6588, Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
***Used Motor Oil may be brought to the Department of Public Works on Olsen Farm Road Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. This facility is equipped with a waste oil furnace. This allows the town to dispose of the used oil and defray heating costs at the same time!! Residents can bring any size containers and either leave them or wait while we dump the oil and take their container home with them. Contact Public Works for more information at (860) 742-6588.