HAZARDOUS Waste Drop Off Facility reopens
Household Chemical Waste Drop Off Facility
Over a dozen towns, including Coventry, share this regional facility located on Hancock Road in Willington. The facility will open on July 18, 2020 and remain open for the first and third Saturdays of the month from 9 a.m. - 2 p.m. through November 7. The facility will be closed September 5, 2020 in conjunction with the Labor Day Holiday.
MIDNEROC HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE OPENING PLAN
The MidNEROC HHW facility is planning to open July 18 from 9-2. The following are new temporary procedures:
1. Only one person is to be in the car.
2. They MUST wear a mask.
3. They MUST stay in the car with their windows up. They should hold their license up to the window. (The license must reflect a member town.)
4. All waste MUST be in the trunk or rear compartment of the vehicle (NONE in passenger area). Your truck, hatch or tailgate should be unlocked or open.
5. No containers will be returned.
6. No aerosol paint or empty aerosol containers will be accepted. (pesticide aerosols will be accepted).
7. No oil or antifreeze will be accepted (take these to Coventry Public Works).
8. Fluorescent light bulbs and household rechargeable batteries should go to Coventry transfer station.
9. All materials should be in their original containers or clearly marked.
SCHEDULE FOR 2020 MIDNEROC HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE SEASON
9am-2pm on the following dates:
August 1 & 15
October 3 & 17
MidNEROC management will be available on open Saturdays from 8am-2pm at 860-965-1910 to answer any questions.
This regional facility will receive one gallon or less of each liquid material and 100 pounds of dry material. Coventry residents’ use of the facility is paid through COVRRA revenues and requires no additional fees. Proof of residency is required. Commercial users must call ahead, 860-289-2296, for appointment and fee schedule.
Typical material accepted at this facility includes:
- Fluorescent light bulbs (these are also accepted at Coventry Transfer Station)
- Ni-Cad (Nickel Cadmium) recyclable batteries only (all batteries are accepted at Coventry Transfer Station)
- Mercury thermometers and thermostats
- Floor, oven, and drain cleaners
- Aerosol cans with hazardous contents
- Contaminated or stale gasoline
- Wood strippers, solvents, all paint, paint thinner, and wood preservatives
Ballasts from fluorescent light fixtures that have written on them "Contains no PCB" are safe to throw in the trash. If there is nothing written or you are not sure if the ballast contains the hazardous material PCB, then you should bring them to this facility.
For more information call Coventry Public Works (860) 742-6588 or submit an email.