HAZARDOUS Waste Drop Off Facility
Household Chemical Waste Drop Off Facility
Over a dozen towns, including Coventry, share this regional facility located on Hancock Road in Willington. The facility will open for the season on May 4, 2019 through November 2, 2019. It is usually open on the first and third Saturdays of the month from 9 a.m. - 2 p.m. The facility will be closed July 6, 2019 in conjunction with Independence Day Holiday.
This regional facility will receive one gallon or less of each liquid material and 100 pounds of dry material. Coventry residents’ use of the facility is paid through COVRRA revenues and requires no additional fees. Proof of residency is required. Commercial users must call ahead, 860-289-2296, for appointment and fee schedule.
Typical material accepted at this facility includes:
- Fluorescent light bulbs (these are also accepted at Coventry Transfer Station)
- Ni-Cad (Nickel Cadmium) recyclable batteries only (alkaline batteries are accepted at Coventry Transfer Station)
- Mercury thermometers and thermostats
- Floor, oven, and drain cleaners
- Aerosol cans with hazardous contents
- Contaminated or stale gasoline
- Wood strippers, solvents, paint, paint thinner, and wood preservatives
Ballasts from fluorescent light fixtures that have written on them "Contains no PCB" are safe to throw in the trash. If there is nothing written or you are not sure if the ballast contains the hazardous material PCB, then you should bring them to this facility.
For more information call Coventry Public Works (860) 742-6588 or submit an email.